Spring is officially here but I just can’t quite see it yet. There are still snow storms happening, cloudy skies, cold days, sharp winds, scarfs around my neck, and a driveway periodically needing shoveling.
In the meantime my fireplace has been turned on almost daily, the kids stayed on their cozy pajamas longer, hot chocolate is still being served, and I get to enjoy “winter” meals just a little longer.
Tomato soup is the kind of thing that I would have all year round, In fact, no matter how hot my summers were when I lived in Brazil, I would have tomato soup very often. I remember my mother’s recipe being simple and delicious and so far the best I ever tried.
My dear husband didn’t have the same opinion about tomato soup as I had. He just didn’t care for it, and I could not understand why. The thought that a human being, not just any human being, my own husband, the love of my life, the father of my children, my best friend didn’t care for tomato soup…was a shock to me.
I tried a few recipes and wasn’t satisfied. They all looked a little too complicated, and some of them looked like they were trying a little too hard. It shouldn’t be this hard to make good tomato soup, right? I just had to have good tomatoes, be careful with the acidity and watch the consistency carefully. Last week I end up with fine tomatoes in my hands, and a chance to try a non-complicate tomato soup recipe. My goal was to keep it simple and I knew what I was looking for, a silky, creamy, and tasty soup.
Roasted Tomato Soup with Rosemary Croutons and Creamy Goat Cheese
Ingredients for the soup:
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes (cut the tomatoes in half)
- 1 medium yellow onion (quarter the onion)
- 6 garlic cloves (keep the skin on)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup water (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 Rapunzel vegan Bullion (if using vegetable stock, omit this ingredient)
- 1/4 heavy cream
- 2 tsp natural cane sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the croutons:
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt an pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup creamy goat cheese crumbled
Directions for the soup:
- Preheat the oven on 400F / 200C
- In a bowl add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix them with your hands until everything is well coated. Spread them to a baking sheet and put it in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until you see the tomatoes wrinkly and the juices are starting to caramelize.
- Peel roasted garlic and put all the roasted ingredients in the blender (I use the Vitamix) with 1 cup of water.
- Transfer everything from the blender to a pan and add the vegan bullion, butter, natural cane sugar, and heavy cream.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Directions for the croutons:
- Preheat the oven on 350F/170C
- In another bowl add the cubed bread, rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Coasted everything with your hands and spread them in a baking sheet.
- Bake it for about 20 minutes or until bread is golden.
When serving the soup make sure it is hot enough so the creamy goat cheese becomes soft in it or almost melt, add the croutons and enjoy!
Ironically, that week my husband was out of town on a business trip and he didn’t get the chance to try it. I am very curious to hear his opinion about it since I will be making this recipe again!
Enjoy this recipe in this season, the next season and every season!
Never Miss Another Post!
Receive Email Updates